If you are like me buying a compiler is something I don’t do terribly often. Or I end up doing it for projects or even worse, I end up using old versions I bought over 10 years ago, because Visual C++ 5.0 should be good enough for anyone, right? (I also own Visual Studio 2003, so it’s not THAT bad….)
I found myself in need for J# of all things for something with work. J# is the MS answer to migrating Java code to .net.
Anyways it turns out I was able to find the web installer, but the link for generating a license code no longer exists. However, the ISO’s never needed the code. Except they aren’t available for download.
Or so I thought.
Turns out they are still there, but MS pulled the pages.
First run the ‘setup.exe’ from the prerequisite CD-ROM.
Set the supported application type to “Microsoft Office 2003”, and place it in a new bottle.
This will be counter intuitive.
Answer no, and the needed components will install.
Don’t worry the .net 1.1 runtime & the j# .net redistributable package will both fail. It is nothing to worry about as we need to install them manually.
CrossOver will then notice that something went wrong. We just tell it to ignore the step, and pretend everything is OK.
Just ‘Skip This Step’ and all is well.
Now that the bottle is ‘setup’ we manually install the .net 1.1 framework. First tell the installer that we are going to install the runtime component .NET Framework 1.1.
I just point the installer to the CD’s ‘dotNetFramework’ directory to the dotnetfx.exe.
And let it install.
Next I install the J# Runtime. First select the ‘other’ application type, then I select the JSharpRedistCore directory and the vjredist.exe
This should install just fine.
Next it’s time to install the MDAC 2.7 sp1 components. I select MDAC 2.71 Serivce Pack 1, then point the installer to the MDAC27SP1 directory, and select the mdac_typ.exe installer
And the MDAC components should install without issue.
Now for some reason I’ve had issues swapping CD’s so I ‘cheat’ and do the following:
Programs -> Run Command, then open up the ‘Debug Options’ and choose Open Shell.
From here I simply do this:
$ cd ‘/Users/neozeed/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/Microsoft Visual Studio 2003/drive_c’
drive_c neozeed$ mkdir temp
drive_c neozeed$ mkdir vs2003
drive_c neozeed$ cd vs2003
vs2003 neozeed$ cp -R /Volumes/VSPROD2/* .
vs2003 neozeed$ cp -R /Volumes/VSPROD1/* .
Now we can go ahead and install Visual Studio.
I find it easier to ‘Open the C: Drive’ which will take us to the 2003 folder, then we can choose the vs2003\setup\setup.exe executable. The vs2003\setup.exe will take note that the pre-requisites are installed, then just exit.
Use the ‘other application’ template, and make sure it is installing to the bottle you’ve been installing to so far!
Assuming you’ve done this right, it’ll take a while
And with any luck you’ll finally see this!
Now you can select what to install
And again this will take a few minutes.
Then it bombs out with a Failed LookupAccountNameW: … which I think a few installers bomb on stuff like this. So close.
Anyways it’ll install but not work. 🙁
Sorry to get your hopes up, I know I’m kinda disappointed.