Thanks to shadyjesse Philpem’s FreeBee can now run the C compiler!

I call it Freebee with C!

Again super thanks to shadyjesse for finding and fixing the larger issues, and philpem for his great emulator, freebee!

So 1970’s

I have to say, having never played with an AT&T Unix PC, it’s kind neat with this windowing non X11 UI. Although even in emulation it’s incredibly slow. But such was the Unix microprocessor revolution of the era, it’s crazy to think the mighty SUN-2 is also on the same level of performance, although SUN would at least go the way of the 68020 before giving up on the 68k for SPARC.

Even though the 68000 lacked the ability to recover from bus faults, allowing a better path to UNIX with the 68010, OEM’s still brought their own MMU technology to flesh it out, leading to divergent systems. Not that it mattered all that much for AT&T as they started to establish themselves as the new defacto go to UNIX vendor they quickly abandoned the market leaving the Unix PC, and 3B2’s to die off. While so many like to think that the ‘Unix’ business is booming, it really only boomed once AT&T exited the market until Linux had started to gain enough mindshare post 1.0… Which also included 68000 support, although aimed for the the stronger 68030/68040’s.

Anyways I’m sure you didn’t come here for my ramblings about the 68000 instead you want an easy to run package to click and GO!

So here, you are, freebee based on build d3c9486 of freebee.

There are two executables, for normies, tourists, and people only wanting to witness the fun it doesn’t matter which one you use. For anyone wanting to install the 3B1 Unix, you’ll want “freebee-10sec-O2.exe”. Since the 3B1 uses a non standard format, if you want to use FAT 360kb disks from a PC emulator then you’ll need “freebee-9sec-O2.exe”. Isn’t compatibility great?

2 thoughts on “Thanks to shadyjesse Philpem’s FreeBee can now run the C compiler!

  1. Hey there — quick update, support for 8/9-sector/track floppies (MS-DOS) has been added along with ImageDisk (IMD) support which should make an initial install easier (no longer need to convert .IMD disk images to raw). We also updated to SDL2 which makes the mouse handling work better when you grab the cursor (via hitting F10). I’m not sure if that was an issue on windows, but definitely presented itself on linux. I figured out a workaround to the installation hang — you just need to hexedit out “.phinit” to spaces in the rc file part of the 08 foundation set disk. Hoping to share that modified disk image soon.

    • Awesome news! I’ll have to check out if SDL2 makes any difference in Win32 stuff, maybe it’s time I bite the bullet and just port my other crap to it. On OS X it’s to the point I have to build on 10.6 as SDL 1.2.15 doesn’t build or work properly it seems.

Leave a Reply