Wasting no time, I downloaded it, and quickly found out it is all in Japanese… But hell that is what Google translate is for! Just be forwarned that it’ll translate things like:
# memswitch -w boot.device=ROM; memswitch -w boot.romaddr=0xeac000
# Boot.Device Memswitch-w = ROM; Memswitch-w = 0Xeac000 Boot.Romaddr
I was able to get all the system bits, and get it to boot up the ROM!
As you can see, I’m emulating a 68030 with MMU, running at a blazing 25Mhz with 12MB of ram! No doubt this is top of the line! So I generated the boot floppies as described on the XM6i page, and booted NetBSD. The boot loader on the x68000 looks kinda cool:
And after waiting for an eternity, like a real machine I booted up, swapped disks, read some more and then watched the kernel initalize:
Installation is pretty straight forward, it is like any other NetBSD platform. Although it is *SLOW*, even after I discovered the ‘turbo mode’ … As shown below:
Even in this mode, I’m running 220% faster than the real machine… I’m sure there are more tweaks to do, but my not being able to read Japanese isn’t helping any.
I figured for future’s sake, I’d just 7zip up what I have so far, maybe it’ll save some time for me later if I try this again.. Getting & generating the ROMS was kind of involved.
After an hour I had a base machine installed!
Also if you’ve never used a Japanese keyboard before, they aren’t quite QWERTY with symbol layouts… This cheat sheet will help!