I know I’m crazy, but for some reason the update didn’t kick off automagically on my 7 box, so I fished around and found the direct download here.
From what I’ve read VMware Player 7 updates should work with 10.
Time to see what breaks, and what works!
The first issue I had is that after the upgrade, VMware Player couldn’t connect to the bridge adapters. Â Luckily the fix is really easy.
Bring up your network connections, go to your physical Ethernet adapter, bring up it’s properties, and add in a ‘service’.
Then select the VMware Inc, vendor and the VMware Bridge Protocol. Â Now with that done, all I had to do is then bind the bridge to the Ethernet adapter.
And now my VM’s can talk to my network without any of that NAT nonsense. Â And I didn’t have to re-install VMware Player to fix this either!
Some real fun came from upgrading my wife to 2015. Â She uses Outlook 2013 to talk to an IMAP server. Â No big deal right? Â Well after upgrading when she tried to send an email she would get the ever so helpful errorÂ 0x800CCC13 . Â So her server is setup to use SSL to talk to the outbound SMTP server. Â It even has a valid certificate! Â The best part is that verifying her account and IT WILL SEND THE TEST EMAIL. Â Yes, that is right, Outlook 2013 cannot send to SMTP servers, but the test and diagnostics work. Â And in the age of multigigabyte installations all the user is left with is a hexidecimal error code ofÂ 0x800CCC13. Â Frankly this is totally inexcusable in 2015, let alone in the 1990s. Â Hell even OS/2 had a system to look up cryptic error messages. Â I guess that was an IBM thing.
So anyways, the best part is the ‘fix’. Â Apparently according to here, the upgrade to Windows 10 corrupts some DLL’s that are a part of Outlook 2013, and they need to be repaired. Â Simply run the following command as administrator:
It can take upwards of 10 minutes to complete. Â After we ran this, we re-ran Outlook 2013, and all of our dozens of attempted test messages sent.
Another possible problem is that the Exchange server pluggin is interfering with the IMAP/SMTP plugins, and it needs to be disabled/deleted. Â I haven’t had to go there since she can send emails now.
Hint: you could have simply clicked “Restore defaults” in the Virtual Network Editor.