So I was reading through a friends blog (wintellect!) and I came across this page about ownCloud… Â Well I thought this was very interesting as I’ve pulled a lot of my external email mess inside (on my own Exchange 5.5 server on MS Virtual Server 2005!) .. So I like this whole idea.
I’ve got this VPS that has a few extra gigs of space, and it’d be SUPER convenient to map some drives for backups, or even back it up by copying some files.. Â It’s a simple AMP program setup, so I had it up and running in a few seconds. Â The ‘hard’ part was mapping the drive from Vista. Â Naturally it came down to reading the instructions, namely:
- inÂ Services, enable theÂ WebclientÂ service (might be enabled already)
- in theÂ Registry, changeÂ
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\Parameters\BasicAuthLevelÂ from 1 to 2
- go toÂ My ComputerÂ â†’Â Mount Network Drive
- in theÂ FolderÂ field typeÂ
- checkÂ Connect using different credentials
And that is about the size of it.