I’ve been using NT 4.0 terminal server as of late, as my copy gives me 10 users and well.. it’s cool! One thing is the new XP and beyond terminal services clients will NOT work, but you can use the one that shipped with NT 4.0 just fine.
Anyways I’ve worked out this install order to get the most out of the thing.
- Install NT 4.0 TSE
- Install 4.0 Option pack with SMTP
- Install Service Pack 6 for Terminal Server
- Installer Windows installer 2.0
- Install Internet Explorer 5.5 (for MSJAVA) *skip webfolders.
- Install MSN Messenger 5.0 (really should be Escargot by now)
- Install Microsoft Office 97
- Install Microsoft Bookshelf 98
- Install Office 97 sp1
- Install Office 97 sp2
- Install Internet Explorer 6.0
This is the best way to “balance” the software as most things will NOT play nicely if it’s installed in the “wrong” order.. It’s.. annoying which means format & try AGAIN.. This is the drawback to Terminal Server 4.0 it was such a public ALPHA.
As it stands right now MSN messenger will not work, something about its reported version.. I’m working on a fix for that Also I’ll have to see about a good point to load in Visual C++ 2.1