If you remember a while back, I had found the ‘missing link’ of Wolfenstein to Wolfenstein SDL, Wolf4GW. Well Tobias has cleaned it up somewhat, and now it compiles on the latest builds of OpenWatcom 2.0c!
The first thing you’ll notice if you try to compile it, is that now it’s a single source file, that includes all the other modules. And it compiles FAST, for me 1 second fast.
From the changes:
- Compiles with OpenWatcom v2.
- Keys (for Run, Shot…) are shown.
- Hang with optimization is fixed.
- Missing Spear of Destiny SignonScreen added.
- Inter-procedural optimization (unity build).
- External assembler routines re-implemented in C.
- Better interrupt enablement /disablement.
- Dead Code removed or #ifdefined.
So, if you want to Wolf3d, or SPOD, I’d check out Tobias’s Wolf4GW if you have a 32bit capable machine. The maps load instantly, and it just feels all around much more smoother than the old 8086 code.