So what is new in 8.1?
- New machines – SiS496/497, 430VX
- WinChip emulation (including MMX emulation)
- New graphics cards – S3 Trio64, Trident TGUI9440AGi, ATI VGA Edge-16, ATI VGA Charger, OAK OTI-067, ATI Mach64
- New sound cards – Adlib Gold, Windows Sound System, SB AWE32
- Improved GUS emulation
- MPU-401 emulation (UART mode only) on SB16 and AWE32
- Fixed DMA bug, floppy drives work properly in Windows 3.x
- Fixed bug in FXAM – fixes Wolf 3D, Dogz, some other stuff as well
- Other FPU fixes
- Fixed serial bugs, mouse no longer disappears in Windows 9x hardware detection
- Major reorganisation of CPU emulation
- Direct3D output mode
- Fullscreen mode
And even better the latest versions allow NTVDM to run on Windows NT (for those who need it..) and a slew of other OS/2 & NT related fixes.
I really like PCem as I can run things like EMM386, and of course running the real BIOS makes it feel all the more real. Â The soundcard & video card choices in 8.1 are simply AMAZING. Â Just be aware some combinations of video cards & CPUs are incompatible. Â Â So if something isn’t working, it’s probably a CPU/video card combo. Â Also I really enjoy Return to Zork on this setup, it feels pretty good! Â And the AWE-32 setup for Doom rocks! Â I haven’t tried it’s Gravis Ultrasound support yet, but I would imagine it should be comparable to DOSBox at a minimum. Â All I find PCem lacking is networking.
You can download my latest binary snapshot here(megaco.nz). Â I’ll eventually figure out something better about this later.