I saw this the other day, VC6 Ultimate. It’s an interesting ‘update’ on the old Visual C++ 6.0 product with an improved UI, along with updated compiler toolchain taken from later versions of Visual C++. Naturally something like this is 1000000% unofficial.
- Portable and compatible with Win7 / Win10
bye bye regedit, hello .hjson setting file !
also meaning it should not mess with your current install
- More compatible compiler
multicore version of VC7.1 compiler (It’s fast)
you can compile with other compilers (64bit), but not debug yet
- Real-time highlighting and diagnostics
based on libclang 6.0 and compatible with VisualAssistX
- Real multicursor editing
search, sort, number, evaluate, etc. while in multicursor mode
- Improved UX and UI
32bit icons, dark skin, lot of visual hints
revamped dialogs (project settings, threads, breakpoints, …)
searchable command palette
- It’s free (as in free beer)
ever had to pay for a birthday present ? 😉
- Every change has a toggle
only take what you like, but we can not check each combination
- It’s an internal spare time project
don’t expect everything to work in every setup, but feel free to reach out
Included in the bundle is the following compilers:
- clang version 3.8.0 (branches/release_38)
- Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.6030 for 80×86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.
- Microsoft (R) C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 14.00.40310.41 for AMD64
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
It’s an interesting project, although I tried to re-build some Visual C++ 2003 projects and it bombed out. Maybe it’s just more geared towards VC 6 as indicated.
You can download it here