I can’t find any source of the 0.5 versions, and I had issues with 0.6.x but with enough mashing of stuff around I did manage to get 0.7.6 to compile, then leaning more on the xwin.c source file I was able to get the SDL output working for 32bit depth (does anyone even have 8bit displays anymore?). I suppose with this version working I can go back and take a stab at resurrecting 0.6.x
What is cool is that 0.7.6 (perhaps earlier versions of 0.7?) switched from a non commercial license to the GPL 2.0 license.
I managed to ‘fix’ the keyboard in this version so that not only does it not type too fast, but it’ll remember “sticky” keys like shift, control & meta. So now you can actually use the CLI, and change disks. Double clicking is an impossibility as it simply runs far too fast. I compiled in audio support but didn’t bother with the SDL end, as it would sound like noise with it running so fast.
I also updated UAE 0.4, with the fixed keyboard code, and it’s usable now as well, with the same caveat that it simply is just too fast. UAE is from an era where a 100Mhz computer was a luxury item. Now some $5 computer, you could pack in breakfast cereal has a 1Ghz processor.