Continuing on from yesterdays adventure I built the PowerPC compiler to support the Cisco 1700 (and maybe the 7200 NPE-G2?).
Much to my surprise, this one works too!
Loading ELF file ‘../ciscoload.bin’…
ELF entry point: 0x8000cba0
C1700 ‘default’: starting simulation (CPU0 IA=0xfff00100), JIT enabled.
ROMMON emulation microcode.
Launching IOS image at 0x8000cba0…
Error: Unable to find any valid flash! Aborting load.
Building this was a lot more fun. I thought I could sidestep building a Linux to PowerPC ELF cross compiler, but as it turns out, to bootstrap libgcc, you really need a compiler that can do this. But with the steps basically down, it was trivial to whip up.
Although I did keep on hitting this error with the Win32 tools that “-mstrict-align” is not supported, while trying to build the startup and libgcc sources using the MinGW targeted compiler through wine. But once I had a native Linux to PowerPC toolchain in place, not only could I build the Windows based compiler, but I can also use the flag -mstrict-align on Windows without it complaining. So lesson learned, have a cross compiler built to the final target to make life easier when building a Canadian cross.
As always, building the binutils package was a snap, just run:
./configure --host=i686-mingw32 --target=ppc-elf -prefix=/ppc
and I had my assembler/linker/librarian in no time.
Because of the aforementioned -mstrict-align issue, I got more creative with the parameters for GCC.
./configure --target=ppc-elf --prefix=/ppc --disable-nls --disable-werror --disable-libssp --without-headers --disable-threads --build=i486-linux-gnu --host=i686-mingw32
But with the Linux to PowerPC cross compiler in place, I was able to quickly generate a working toolchain.
I copied in CILO, and added in a build batch file to manually build it, and updated the test directory to run it.
So for those who are interested here is my toolchains:
As a minor addendum, The 1700 can run stuff that is far more complicated than the MIPS. I’m not sure why I get so many TLB violations for doing something more complicated but I (poorly) ported aclock to run on the cisco 1700!
The Dynamips ROMMON emulator doesn’t provide the keyboard input function call so it can’t read from the keyboard. Also it can’t read the clock so I have it running 250,000 dhrystones between clock ticks. Although I think that is far too many, maybe 125,000 would be more like it but it runs on the PowerPC. While on the MIPS I get nothing but this:
*** TLB (Load/Fetch) Exception ***
PC = 0x80008964, Cause = 0x00008008, Status Reg = 0x00408103
Oh well. Maybe it’s a stack problem I guess I’ll have to break down and do a memory map and write a malloc if I want to go down this road. Although back in 1999 this would be incredible but today I don’t think anyone would run anything but IOS on their cisco hardware.